Disclaimer

My words are my own. I may vent and offend some but I say what I feel.
I'm an overly honest (and loud) person.
I know some may not agree with me but it's my blog, my thoughts and my views.

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Halloween Rag Wreath

So I have been looking at different craft blogs over the last few days and I got bit by the craft bug. I love to craft, but between DD, Deployments, school, and life, I just haven't had time. I use to be a crazy scrapbooker, I miss it and need to get back into, but really need the space for it...anyways back to the wreath. I found a bunch of different wreath ideas through different blogs and feel in love with 2 different ones, I made one tonight.

I've been wanting to make a rag wreath for a while, here is how I made my Halloween rag wreath.
I picked 5 different fabrics (in hind sight I picked too many fabrics with too much black).
I got a 1/2 yard of each fabric and I picked up a wire wreath frame.
I cut the fabric into 1 inch by 5 inch strips (I wasn't exact in my measurements, I marked with a sharpie every inch but that was about it, I folded the whole piece in half, then in half again, and cut on the sharpie marks, then cut the folds, made cutting easier [if that makes sense])


I started on the inside and worked my way out, I took the 5 fabrics and just went in a pattern.


I sat on the couch with piles all around me and just knotted them to the frame, took me a while but I watched TV while doing it, my back hurts but I'm blaming the pregnancy for that (thanks bagel bite!)
Here is the finished wreath (well finished with the knotting anyways)


I also bought a bag of wooden blocks (8 for $2.99) at the craft store and used some extra fabric stripes to cover it, so if you could see it the block would blend in.


I bought a little pre-made sign ($0.79) and glued it to the block that I covered with fabric.
Then I glued the block to the wreath. I pulled apart the strips as much as possible so I could glue it closer to the frame.

Here is the completed wreath on my front door
I wish the prints on the fabric were more visible, the Halloween selection at the store I went to was mostly black based, but over all I'm happy with my first attempt at a rag wreath

Because of the sales that we're going on at the craft store this wreath cost me about $25

Here is where I found the inspiration for this wreath
I tweaked it a bit and made it my own though

No comments:

Post a Comment